CNC Machines are Indispensible in Manufacturing
A CNC Machine is an industrial machine used in the mass manufacturing of machined parts. CNC is an acronym for Computer Numerical Control and CNC machines have been in operation since the early 1970's. Before CNC machines a similar but more manual machine was called an NC machine, which stood for Numerical Control.
CNC machines are used in almost every form of the manufacturing process. If you are working in manufacturing, then you most likely will be dealing with a CNC machine on a regular basis; from drilling holes, milling, turning, grinding, winding, cutting and other fabrication processes. Where to find CNC machines or equipment? Superior Machinery buys and sells new and used CNC machinery on a regular basis.
The advantage of a CNC machine is that it is computer controlled. No matter how many iterations in the machining process, the whole process can be programmed and controlled by a computer eliminating most if not all of the manual work involved using a non-computerized or conventional machine. CNC machines are much more efficient (reduces manual labor), produces consistent quality (reduces mistakes or scrap), is more productive (reduces time to manufacture parts) among other advantages.
Types of CNC machines
CNC has touched almost every facet of manufacturing. Many machining processes have been improved and enhanced through the use of CNC. Below is a list of common CNC machines and most of these are available through Superior Machinery as used and new equipment:
- CNC Machining Centers which can be CNC Horizontals / CNC Verticals include all kinds of milling (face milling, contour milling, slot milling, etc.), drilling, tapping, reaming, boring, and counter boring.
- CNC Turning Centers include all kinds of turning operations like facing, boring, turning, grooving, knurling, and threading.
- CNC Milling Machines, CNC Drill and Tap Centers, and CNC lathes are various kinds of special "off-shoots" of the CNC machining centers and CNC turning centers.
- CNC Grinders perform various grinding operations like outside diameter (OD) grinding and internal diameter (ID) grinding and Contour grinding.
- CNC Electrical discharge machining (EDM) or CNC EDM is the process of removing metal through the use of electrical sparks which burn away the metal.